Friday, May 27, 2011

Beef Liver Pate with Beef Heart (Dairy Free)

I love liverwurst but most store bought brands have ingredients I cannot yet tolerate. So I decided to make my own, or something like Pate, and use up some of the beef liver and heart Tracy Monday from Laurel Creek Meats in Knoxville gave me free. This is my second try - it's good IMO but I will probably experiment some more. I am using pork fat in this one since I can't have butter yet and it has a softer consistency than tallow. For people who do not like salt this recipe may be a bit salty.

Beef Liver Pate with Beef Heart (Dairy Free)

  • 500 grams grass-fed beef liver
  • 250 grams grass-fed beef heart
  • 190 grams grass-fed ground beef
  • 190 grams lard
  • 2 tablespoons celtic sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (15 grinds roughly)
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • ¼ teaspoon ginger
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon sage
  • 1 cup beef broth (from boiled liver/heart/ground)

Bring heart to a boil, remove foam, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours (or until tender). In a separate pot, bring liver/ground to a boil, remove foam, reduce heat then simmer about 20 minutes (or until tender). Save broth from both. Place meat, fat, broth, and spices in food processor and process until smooth (or desired consistency). Place in fridge. Enjoy!

You can freeze the rest of the broth to use in other recipes.

No comments: