Thursday, April 5, 2012

Coconut-Lime Avocado Creme

I love avocados and usually buy a net of 5 or 6 of them at Costco. They are the best avocados I have eaten so far and they are usually less expensive than at other grocery stores. Since I can't eat all of them before they go bad, although I buy them almost green, I usually mash them with a little bit of lime juice and salt, divide into glass jars, and freeze them.

While I am not crazy about lime or lemon in general, I do love the taste of this avocado mash. Sometimes I just eat it as is (after defrosting), and other times I add salsa and/or cilantro to make something more like guacamole. Today as I was mashing my avocados I was thinking it would be nice to have a thicker, more firm consistency so I came up with this very simple recipe.

what you need:
  • 5 oz avocado (peeled and deseeded - roughly 1 medium)
  • 1/2 tablespoon lime juice or lemon juice (just enough to keep it from turning brown but you can use more if you like the taste of lime/lemon)
  • salt to taste (I just sprinkled some Himalayan sea salt on it)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted or very soft (I buy Nutiva)
what you do:
Place all ingredients in chopper and grind/puree until all ingredients are mixed well. I did not leave any chunks of avocado and the consistency was smooth and creamy although the coconut oil was starting to firm up with the cold avocado. 

Move to a bowl or storage container and refrigerate at least one hour. The consistency is now much firmer and it has a light coconutty taste to it which I love.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Those are some of my favorite flavor combinations lately. Yum. Thanks for sharing@

mannelly family said...

This was amazing! I had it tonight spread on tortillas with tacos. Would be great as a sandwich or wrap spread. Thanks for sharing!

Kristina said...

@Jen - let me know if you try it.
@manelly family - glad you liked it and thank you for letting me know.

Nancy @Real Food, Allergy Free said...

Sounds wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing at Allergy-Free Wednesday! I hope you'll come back again this week.